Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS

Komen Race for the Cure to offer free mammograms

March 9, 2012
Fort Myers Beach Bulletin, Fort Myers Beach Observer

The sixth annual Southwest Florida Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure takes place at Coconut Point Mall in Estero on March 10. All Race for the Cure participants are eligible to sign up on race day for a drawing for one of 75 free mammograms made available through a donation by Mariann, Bob and Megan MacDonald, the premiere race sponsor.

The 75 receiving the free mammograms will be contacted by phone after the Race. Those selected can choose to get their mammogram 17 at Coconut Point Mall on March or at the Edison Mall in Fort Myers on March 24. Mammograms will be done in a mobile mammography unit.

"Our family has partnered with Radiology Regional Center for their mobile mammography unit in honor of Susan G. Komen for the Cure Southwest Florida," said Mariann MacDonald, Komen Southwest Florida president and breast cancer survivor. "This organization has done so much for our local community, and we want to ensure that 75 women or men who are in need of a mammogram will get one. The number 75 also represents the fact that 75 percent of funds raised here stay right here in our community, with the other 25 percent going to groundbreaking research."

Last year's Race for the Cure raised more than $1 million allowing the Southwest Florida Affiliate to make grants of $1,015,235 to 13 non-profit organizations in Lee, Collier, Charlotte, Hendry and Glades counties. The grants provide education and support, diagnostic screening, treatment, and access to care for the uninsured and underinsured.

Race for the Cure is a sanctioned chip timed 5K race that includes a non-competitive 5K run/walk and one-mile fun run/walk. Race for the Cure starts at 8 a.m. behind the Hollywood Theatres at Coconut Point Mall. Race awards and a survivor recognition celebration will follow the Race.

To enter for a free mammogram, visit the donation tent located on Fashion Drive near the Brighton store on March 10 from 8 a.m. through the end of awards ceremony or the mammography unit bus from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. For race registration, visit or call 498-0016.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web