Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS

Susan G. Komen Southwest Florida awards 2012 grants

May 14, 2012
Fort Myers Beach Bulletin, Fort Myers Beach Observer

The Southwest Florida affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure announced the allocation of $825,000 to 12 grant recipients.

For many local breast cancer patients, these funds mean they will not have to decide whether to pay their rent or schedule their next chemotherapy treatment. The non-profit organizations receiving funding provide education, screening, treatment and support to the medically underserved in Lee, Collier, Charlotte, Hendry and Glades counties The grant award ceremony, sponsored by Bucher Wealth Management Group of Raymond James, took place at Bayfront Bistro on Fort Myers Beach on

April 12.

Representatives from each organization expressed gratitude for receiving the grants.

"We are saving lives, thanks to Komen and thanks to you," said Janet Darnell, Partners for Breast Cancer Care.

Many people spoke about the network of organizations that work together to ensure that patients do not fall through the cracks.

Sylvia Delgado, Family Health Centers of Southwest Florida, summed it all up by saying, "This is not moneythis is family, love, support and hope."

The Komen Affiliate is one of 123 Komen Affiliates worldwide all pledging to relieve suffering from the disease and to end breast cancer forever. Through local events and activities, the Komen Southwest Florida Affiliate gives 75 percent of net proceeds to the local community and applies the remaining 25 percent towards groundbreaking research. In the past 10 years, the local office has funded $5.7 million in local screening, treatment, and education programs while also funding $1.8 million in research.

In order to ensure it is funding programs address the specific unmet breast cancer needs of the community, the Komen Southwest Florida Affiliate works with local health care professionals and community leaders to conduct a comprehensive community needs assessment. This community profile, a standard practice of all Komen Affiliates, is then used to establish a local grant application and review process consistent with the organization's standards and mission.

For more information on the specific grants awarded, visit

--submitted by Catherine Bergerson



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web