The Greater Fort Myers Beach Chamber of Commerce doled out six awards at its annual Gala at Pink Shell Resort last Friday. Recognition also went out to directors, committee chairs and event chairs.
Norma Jean Pevey dropped her chairperson-elect title to become the 2013 chair of the Beach Chamber board of directors. John Gavin is now the chair-elect. Rounding out the 2013 officers are Eric Tibbs, vice chair; David Anderson, treasurer; and Bud Nocera, president.
Receiving plaques for their efforts were Terry Luster, who was named Ambassador of the Year; Robb Capps, selected Volunteer of the Year; Gavin's Ace Hardware, a family-run business chosen for its Community Involvement of the Year; Diversified Yacht Services, heralded for its Economic Development of the Year; Dan Baggot, who was given the Bambi Award for his $60,000 pledge contribution to that mobile visitor information center fund; and Al Durrett, named to the inaugural "Petro" Award.
Many Beach Chamber members were recognized for their volunteer work and effort at the Chamber Gala at Pink Shell Resort Friday. The hard-working business people here were even applauded during special recognition awards.
Nocera said the new tradition "Petro" award, which was named for D.J. Petruccelli, the longest serving Chamber of Commerce director in the United States, epitomizes selfless service to Fort Myers Beach each year.
"There wasn't anybody that cared more about Fort Myers Beach than Petro," said Durrett, who supports Arts, school and chamber activities and serves on Town committees. "There couldn't have been a finer guy running this island for the chamber all the years that he did."
Longtime Beach resident Roxie Smith was also given an honorary recognition by the close of the Gala. The first Bambi travel trailer will be named after her.
"Roxie has always been not only a friend but a mentor and a wonderful person who has always been out in front supporting this Beach," said Nocera. "She is the queen of hospitality for this Beach. Very soon on this Beach, we are going to have our first mobile visitor information center, and its name is going to be Roxie."
Committee chairs announced were Eric Tibbs of the Ambassador committee, Dan Eaton of the Marketing committee, Ann Alsop of the Past Chair committee and Tom Myers of the Traffic committee.
"Our chamber has sub-committees that perform on-going tasks that take a lot of time and a lot of effort. They manage these groups, the people in them and the projects they work on," said Gavin, presenter. "It takes a great deal of time to run the groups that sometimes requires a special skill set."
This year's event chairs are Terry Luster for the Business Expo, Steve DeAngelis for Taste of the Beach, Brooke Klay for American Sand Sculpting Championships and Dan Eaton for the Christmas Boat Parade.
"We appreciate all of their hard work and effort," said Tibbs, presenter.
2013 Beach Chamber Directors are:
- Chair: Norma Jean Pevey, Associate Member; Chair Elect: John Gavin, Gavin's Ace Hardware; Vice Chair, Eric Tibbs; Treasurer - David Anderson, Krusty Pete's; and President - Bud Nocera.
- Term Ending Dec. 31, 2013: John Armistead, Lee Memorial Health Systems; Dan Eaton, U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary; Jim Lambeth, A Better Bugman; Roxie Smith, Pink Shell Development;
- Term Ending Dec. 31, 2014: Ann Alsop, Associate Member; Rob Capps, Premier Sandals Realty; Steve DeAngelis, Nervous Nellies; Brooke Klay, Associate Member; Terry Luster, Kiwanis Fort Myers Gateway to the Islands.
- Term Ending Dec.31, 2015: Donna Bates, AAA Travel; Curt Brenner, Gullwing Beach Resort; Ellis Etter, Pink Shell Resort and Marina; and Barbara Farrell - iBERIABANK.
- Ex Officio Directors: Fran Myers, Red Coconut RV Resort; and Tom Hart, Knott, Consorer, Elelini, Hart, Swett, PA