Twenty-four students at Beach Elementary School will be moving to the next level of education in the near future. They were applauded at an awards ceremony in the Dolphin Cafe Monday evening.
Middle school beckons as Beach school faculty and staff have provided a great beginning education and a smooth transition to the next level and beyond.
"This is a rite of passage. This group is ready for it," said Principal Larry Wood during his opening comments. "Our teachers have been getting them prepared. They will be our great students in academics and also our leaders and athletes."
Beach Elementary School graduated another class of fifth graders who will be moving on to middle school. They are the Class of 2020.
The 2020 high school graduating class includes Tori Brauch, Steele Byrne, Kevin Farmer, Avery Frease-Krakow, Brian Glover, Juliet Griffith, Erica Halsey, Abigail Herrling, Eilot Lincoln, Oli Marquez, Dustin Mayberry, Angelina McClure, Riley Monahan, Gabby Owen, Shelby Page, Catrina Perry, Skylar Plante, Anthony Smith, Benjamin Sohner, Janie Sohner, John Sohner, Kara Sullivan, Dulce Uscanga-Rodriquez and Ashley Walters
Many of the students were recognized for academic awards throughout the school year.
Eliot Lincoln received the Carson Scholarship Award for maintaining a high grade-point average, community service and submitting a winning essay entry about what he wants to do as an adult.
Lincoln also earned the President's Education Award, signed by President Barack Obama and called the highest award a student can earn leaving elementary school. It is given to students who maintained a 3.5 GPA in fourth and fifth grade and exceed Math and Reading FCAT scores.
Here is a listing of the winners of the other Beach school academic awards:
- Straight A honor roll: Oli Marquez, Eliot Lincoln, Gabby Owen, Riley Monahan.
- A/B honor roll: Ashley Walters, Catrina Perry, Kara Sullivan, Abigail Herrling, Anthony Smith
- B honor roll: Avery Frease-Krakow, Juliet Griffith
- Highest average in Language: Gabby Owen
- Highest average in Math: Oli Marquez
- Highest average in Reading: Gabby Owen (*344 AR points top reader)
- Highest average in Social Studies: Tori Brauch
- Highest average in Science: Eliot Lincoln
- Citizenship Award: Eliot Lincoln, Anthony Smith, Tori Brauch, Gabby Owen, Oli Marquez, Juliet Griffith, Skylar Plante, Shelby Page, Abigail Herrling, Riley Monahan, Dulce Uscanga-Rodriquez
- Kiwanis Kids officers: Riley Monahan (president); Eliot Lincoln (vice president); Gabby Owen (secretary); Tori Brauch (treasurer).
- Physical Education Awards: Avery Frease-Krakow, Dulce Uscanga-Rodriquez
- Art Talent Awards: John Sohner, Ben Sohner
- Music Awards: Oli Marquez, Gabby Owen
- Perfect Attendance: Anthony Smith, Catrina Perry