Now that Memorial Day weekend has passed and school year is over, signs of summer are upon us.
It's time to register your children for summer camps!
Bay Oaks Recreational Center and Ostego Bay Foundation are two groups that are offering camps that may suit you and your younger loved ones.
Bay Oaks summer camps offer traditional ones and specialty ones. Call 765-4222 for more information. Here campers are participating in an egg toss during a so-called ‘messy day.’
Bay Oaks offers a traditional summer camp and specialty camps. Registration is still open for all slots.
"As a former Bay Oaks Camper, I can still remember the amount of fun my friends and I had at Bay Oaks year after year," said Sarah Mayher, youth program coordinator for the Town of Fort Myers Beach. "Now, that I am the youth coordinator at Bay Oaks. Not only is it a job that I love, but it is also a personal matter that every camper leaves Bay Oaks Summer Camp with positive memories that will also last them a lifetime."
Ostego Bay offers marine science inspired camps. Registration is open for those particular camp dates as well.
"Children are our future. If we educate them, they can make better decisions," said Ostego Bay President Joanne Semmer. "The environment depends on the future of our children, and we are surrounded by a marine environment. Our estuaries are so unique. If you know them, then you learn to love them. If you love them, you want to takes care of them."
Here is look at what is offered at both:
Bay Oaks Traditional Summer Camp 2014
- Bay Oaks Traditional Summer Camp is open for children going into Kindergarten through age 13.
Traditional camp packs a full day of indoor and outdoor activities, including arts and crafts, games, swimming, weekly field trips and much more.
Bay Oaks will have an Open House next Tuesday (June 3) from 5 to 6 p.m. Mayher said that event will allow parents a chance to meet staff, check out the facility and fill out the proper paperwork to avoid delays.
Summer camps will be offered June 9 through June 13 (week 1); June 16 through June 20 (week 2); June 23 through June 27 (week 3); June 30 through July 3 (week 4); July 7 through July 11 (week 5); July 7 through July 11 (week 5); July 14 through July 18 (week 6); July 21 through July 25 (week 7); July 28 through Aug. 1 (week 8); Aug. 4 through Aug. 8 (week 9)
The costs include $75 per member and $100 per non-member. You get a $20 discount when paid in full.
Call 765-4222 for more information.
Bay Oaks Specialty Summer Camps 2014
- Bay Oaks Recreational Campus will host a Junior Lifeguarding Camp from June 16 to June 20; July 7 to July 11 and July 28 to Aug. 1. The hours are from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Cost is $95 per member or $114 per non-member.
- Bay Oaks Recreational Campus will host a Bay Oaks Basketball Skills Camp from June 9 to June 13, from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Cost is $50 per member and $55 per non-member.
- Bay Oaks Recreational Campus will host a Kayaking Camp from July 14 to July 18, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Cost is $30 per member and $36 per non-member.
- Bay Oaks Recreational Campus will host a Babysitting Camp from Aug. 11 to 20, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Cost is $65 per member and $78 per non-member.
Ostego Bay Summer Camps 2014
- Ostego Bay Foundation Marine Science Center offers seasonal summer camps in June and July, designed for children from kindergarten to age 16. Come explore the beautiful barrier islands and the waters of Estero Bay. Field and beach trips will introduce campers to sea grass communities, plankton populations, mangrove tangles and bird nesting areas. Ostego Bay's staff state-certified teachers offer a wide diversity of expertise providing highly personalized instruction.
The camps runs Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. All instructional materials are provided.
The schedule include camp dates on June 9 to June 13 with Loggerheads (ages 9-11); June 16 to June 20 with Sea Stars/Loggerheads; June 23 to June 27 with Tiger Sharks (ages 12 to 16); June 30 to July 3 with Sea Stars/Loggerheads (4-day camp); July 7 to July 11 with Sea Stars; July 14 to July 18 with Tiger Sharks; July 21 to July 25 with Loggerheads; July 28 to Aug. 1 with Sea Stars; and Aug. 4 to Aug. 8 with Sea Stars/Loggerheads.
Transportation must be provided to and from camp. Campers must provide lunch and drinks.
A graduation luncheon will be provided by the Center on the last day. The camp is located at the Marine Science Center, 718 Fisherman's Wharf, San Carlos Island.
For more information, call the Ostego Bay Foundation at 765-8101. Go to www.ostegobay.org for a application.